I don't know about you, but it's definitely feeling 'Spring-y' around here! The sun is out, the snow is melting, birds are beginning their mating songs, and critters are waking up from winter slumbers.
My husband and I often contemplate our favorite time of the year. His is fall; with the yummy goods from harvest, warm colors, and brisk air who's to complain? Not I. However, I wouldn't say it's my favorite time of the year.
Mine has to be spring. I may be a little biased, being a May baby and all, but hey so is my husband! No, it's not just the joy and memories of spring birthday celebrations that make me love spring. It's all the magic that happens during this time. If you've read The Secret Garden, you'd understand the illustration of spring as a season with immense magic. In reality, it's probably the new life appearing in spring that gives the feeling of magic. So much more energy flowing around.
So, in homage to another Spring I have made up a few daffodils. Or daffydowndillies as they're called in Burnett's book. I'm not sure what I will do with them, yet. Maybe spring ornaments or I may make a garland. Attach them to a stem and place them in a vase or pin to a hat. Many possibilities with these cute Daffodils!
Basic Daffodil Pattern
Yarn - Worsted Weight, any 1-2 colors you want
Hook - F and H
Ch - Chain
Sl. St. - Slip stitch
SC - Single Crochet
HDC (half double crochet)- Wrap yarn over hook, insert hook into stitch, pull yarn through stitch (you'll now have 3 loops on hook), wrap yarn over and pull through all three loops.
TR (treble crochet)- Wrap yarn over hook twice, insert hook into stitch, pull yarn through stitch (you'll have 4 loops on hook), wrap yarn over and pull through two loops, do final step two more times.
DTR (double treble crochet)- Wrap yarn over hook three times, insert hook into stitch, pull yarn through stitch (you'll have 5 loops on hook), wrap yarn over and pull through two loops, do final step three more times.
Picot - Ch. 2, slip stitch into first chain.
f/o- Fasten off
with F hook and Color 1
1. Ch. 4, sl. st. into first chain to make a round.
2. Ch 2. (this is your first HDC), HDC 11 into ring, sl. st. to Ch. 2 (12)
3. Ch. 1, SC around in back two loops of HDC, sl. st. into ch 1. (12)
4-5. Repeat step 3.
6. Ch. 2, SC in same st. as sl. st. *Ch. 2, SC in next st.* around. f/o
with H hook and Color 2 (or 1 if doing single color daffodil)
1. Join Color 2 to any of the remaining loops from HDC with a SC.
2. *Ch. 2 skip stitch SC in next stitch* around, sl. st. to first SC (6 ch. 2 spaces)
3. Sl. St. in first Ch. 2 space *Ch. 2, TR, 3 DTR, TR, Ch. 2, SC, Sl. St. into next Ch. 2 space* around
4. *2 SC in Ch. 2 space, SC in next 2 st, SC Picot SC in next st., SC in next 2 st, 2 SC in Ch. 2 space* around, f/0
Tie in loose ends, cinch center of daffodil closed for a better looking flower.
My name is Annissa, owner of MissNissDesigns. I am a knitter, crocheter, sewer, and all around crafty lady.